Friday 16 December 2011

Coffee for Two

These are a series of paintings - all works on paper - I made for an OCA project a few years back.


The first painting, an acrylic, was an attempt to paint the "negative space" (i.e., just the background) using a limited palette. I used black, yellow ochre and white (and my yellow ochre was horribly bitty. I think it was an old tube - maybe it was drying out? Or maybe it was reverting to earth...).

The second painting was a fairly quick rendition of the subject in acrylic, using lots of colours.


The third painting is the one I spent the most time on. It's in oil, and I seem to have changed my vantage point. I'm not sure why I did that - I think that the lower viewpoint works better. Some of the perspectives on the circles are off, too, but overall, I'm quite proud of it.


In both of the second two, I deliberately omitted a logo from the red mugs. It wasn't a terribly involved logo - one word, in white - but I just didn't want my painting to feature it, because it wasn't what the painting was about. The painting was about reflections... and coffee, of course.

Black, no sugar, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!