Tuesday 18 October 2011

LEGO® Minifigures 1: "Girl"

This is the first of a new series of paintings, intended to appeal to the less serious art-shopper. I'm considering a stall at a one or two local Christmas fairs, and I decided to do a few small canvases because I was worried that my landscapes, being larger and representing more work, might have too high a price for the event. I'm also planning on getting some greetings cards of a couple of the landscapes printed.

I acquired a number of these very small canvases, almost on a whim, and their small size inspired me to select small subjects. Initially, I thought of flowers - very close up flowers, like the one in "Tulip" - but then it occurred to me that there were a number of iconic toys which might look well in such a small scale. I liked the idea of using a plastic paint (acrylics) to create an image of a plastic toy. I'm starting with Lego minifigures, although I may expand to other subjects. The minifigures are nice because there are many different characters to choose from, and they have a fairly broad appeal. I started with a fairly plain one - the only printing she has is her features - partly to keep it simple, partly because this is what minifigures looked like when I was a child.

Acrylic on canvas, 7 x 7cm. SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!